Fax 530-233-6666 Office 530-233-6205 Hours: M-F 8:30am-12pm & 1pm-5pm We close from 12-1 for lunch
Modoc County ClerkStephanie Wellemeyer
"FBN" also known as Doing Business As (DBA)
Fictitious Business Name Inquiry.
a name does not reserve the name for your exclusive use. The County
Clerk’s office cannot refuse to file an FBN statement because the name
is already being used by someone else. If there is a conflict between
business owners using the same or similar names, it becomes a legal
matter between the business owners.
- All information contained in the statement is a PUBLIC record.
- An FBN must be filed no later than forty days from the time you start doing business.
- An FBN must be filed with the County Clerk in the county in which the registrant has his/her principal place of business.
may file in person at the County Clerk’s office. Applications are
accepted Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30
p.m. The process takes 10 to 15 minutes per application. The registrant
or agent filing on behalf of the registrant shall present personal
identification in the form of a California driver’s license or other
government identification. Payment may be made by cash, preprinted
checks, or money orders made payable to Modoc County Clerk. Credit or
debit cards are NOT accepted. All necessary documents will be provided
at the time of filing.
- You may file by mail; the turnaround time is approximately 5-7 business days. (Please see below Mailing an Application).
- The filer is responsible for confirming that all information in the statement is correct and complete before filing it.
cannot make any updates to the statement once it has been filed. Any
changes require the filing of a new statement, payment of the filing
fees again, and newspaper publication fees.
- FBN statements are
valid for five (5) years. If at any time there are changes to the facts
of the filing, for example, ownership, business name and/or address
change, a new statement must be filed.
- When a business is sold to a new owner, the original owner shall file and publish a Statement of Abandonment. When an individual withdrawals from a multi-partner FBN, a Statement of Withdrawal may be filed and published.
- Filings must be published in a newspaper of general circulation within 30 days of filing.
- The registrant(s) must provide physical residence address under the registrant information.
the registrant is a corporation or an LLC, the address as listed in the
Articles of Incorporation along with the State of
Incorporation/Organization must be listed.
- New filings along
with changes in the facts of original filings must be published by the
registrant in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which
the principal place of business is located.
- The first
publication must begin within thirty days of the date the statement was
filed in the County Clerk’s office. The newspaper will publish once a
week for four consecutive weeks. Failure to publish timely will require a
new filing along with all filing fees. A list of Shasta County
newspapers is provided for you at the time of filing.
proof of publication must be filed in the County Clerk’s office within
thirty days of the last publication. Please check with the newspaper to
see if they will forward the original to our office for filing.
reminder notice that a filing is set to expire is mailed from the
County Clerk within two weeks of the expiration date. There is a 40 day
grace period following the date of expiration. It is the filer’s
responsibility to re-file timely.
- There is no need to
republish the statement if it is filed timely and there has been no
change in the information contained in the previously filed statement.
Mailing an Application:
- Complete and sign an original application and make three copies.
all pages along with payment and a self addressed stamped envelope to
the County Clerk’s office. Extra postage is required.
application is complete, Customer, Bank, and Publication copies will be
sent back to you along with instructions for each copy.
application is NOT complete or corrections need to be made, your
original, along with your copies, payment, and return envelope will be
returned to you along with a letter stating what information is missing.
Please complete and return as soon as possible.
Fictitious Business Name
Please note our office now requires appointments to be made prior to obtaining your marriage license. Please call our office to make an appointment to purchase your marriage license.
- A California Marriage License is a
permit to get married; you are NOT officially married until a marriage
ceremony is performed anywhere in the state of California by a
recognized wedding officiant.
- California Marriage License
applications are processed Monday through Friday, in the County Clerk's
Office, located at 108 E. Modoc Street, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
The process may take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Payment may be made by
cash, preprinted checks, or money orders made payable to Modoc County
Clerk. Credit or debit cards are NOT accepted.
- A Marriage License is valid for 90 days. Do NOT get your license more than 90 days before your wedding day.
- Blood tests are no longer required.
- If either party is under 18 years of age, a court order must be obtained prior to issuance of the license by contacting Court Services at (530) 233-6205.
- Both parties must appear in person and present their current ID containing their picture, birth date, and signature.
- You may fill out and print the online application for a Public Marriage License to bring into the office.
- The web address to fill out the online application is http://www.criis.com/
- Birth name of parents includes full first, middle and last names. Mother’s last name would be her maiden name.
- If there has been a prior marriage for either party, the month, day, and year that marriage ended needs to be known.
- The New Name fields may NOT be changed once the Marriage License has been issued.
- Please review all the information noted on both pages of the application.
After you are Married
- Once the wedding has taken
place, it is the Officiant’s responsibility to return the completed
Public Marriage License, either by mail or in person, to the Modoc
County Recorder's Office located at 108 E. Modoc Street, Alturas, CA 96101, for recording.
- If there should be
any alterations, erasures, white-out, or write-overs made on the
license, it will be the Officiants responsibility to complete an
affidavit for a Duplicate Marriage License. There is a $40 fee for this
- The Modoc County Recorder's Office charges $15 for each Certified Marriage Certificate.
couple who is changing their last name, needs to take this Certified
Copy FIRST to the Social Security Office, and then to the Department of Motor Vehicles
For Marriage Licensing code see Family Code 350
Congratulations & Best Wishes