- Any person, corporation, or partnership whose
principal place of business is in Modoc County and who makes more than
10 services of process within this state during one calendar year for
compensation must file and maintain a verified certificate of
registration as a Process Server with the Modoc County Clerk.
- Persons exempt from registration are the following:
- Any sheriff, marshal, or government employee who is acting within the course of their employment.
- An attorney or their employees when serving process related to cases for which the attorney is providing legal services.
- Any person who is specially appointed by a court to serve its process.
- A licensed private investigator or their employees.
professional photocopier registered under Section 22450, or an employee
thereof, whose only service of process relates to subpoenas for the
production of records, which subpoenas specify that the records be
copied by that registered professional photocopier.
- The Modoc County Clerk is a regulatory entity that submits fingerprints to
the Department of Justice as part of the registration for Process
- A Live Scan form must be picked up at our office
and taken to one of the following Live Scan fingerprint services to be
completed BEFORE filing an application.
- Modoc County Sheriff's Office: 102 S. Court Street, Alturas:
- Alturas Police Department: 200 W North Street,Alturas;
- The certificate is valid for two (2) years.
To register as a Process Server, appear in person at the County Clerk's office with the following:
- Process Server Bond in the amount of $2,000 in the name of the
person, corporation, or partnership that is registering in favor of Modoc County, State of California
- Live Scan form from Live Scan agency
- Valid picture identification
- Filing Fee - $110 for each registration. (This includes the $10 fee for one ID card)
All information is verified for correctness. A registration number will be assigned. NOTE:
If the Individual or Company has previously been filed as a Process
Server, that same number will be issued ONLY if the filing has NOT
EXPIRED. For those who are required to submit fingerprints for
background checks, a temporary ID card, valid for 120 days, will be
issued until clearance is received from the FBI & DOJ. Once
clearance has been granted, the permanent 2-year ID card may be picked
up in person or mailed to the applicant.
accepted Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:30
p.m. The process takes 20 to 30 minutes. Payment may be made by cash,
preprinted checks, or money orders made payable to Modoc County Clerk.
Credit or debit cards are NOT accepted.
For Process Server code see Business and Professions Code 22350